Doterra headache blend of essential oils can successfully be used to soothe headaches and migraine to get you through the day
Many of us are tormented by chronic headaches or migraine attacks. These hit us when we least expect them and they can make the simplest day task a huge and painful challenge.
Doterra oils for headaches can successfully be used to soothe headaches and migraine to get you through the day. But keep in mind these frequent headaches can be a symptom of something more serious and you should discuss them with your doctor to find the underlying cause.
There are many essential oils for headaches available that can help you to alleviate headaches or migraine attacks. Their magic works wonders to reduce inflammation, muscle spasm, swelling and pain. Many of them also have a calming effect on your mind and improve blood circulation to your brain. Many of our headaches are caused by stress or other tension-related issues.
Doterra headache essential Oils
- Peppermint – Peppermint contains menthol which is known for its cooling, soothing and mind clearing properties. It works great to ease tension-related headaches. Its scent works uplifting so best not use during the evening hours as it can interfere with your sleep. Peppermint is your first go-to for Doterra headache relief when you feel a migraine attack creeping up. Rub a few drops of peppermint essential oils diluted in a carrier oil on your forehead, temples, and back of your neck at the first signs. Also read my article about top 10 uses for peppermint essential oils.
- Lavender – Lavender essential oils has anti-inflammatory properties and has a sedative or calming effect, making it the ideal choice to soothe headaches during the evening or night. The best essential oils to cure headaches which are allergy-triggered. Can be used instead of peppermint essential oils at first signs. Also refer to my previous article about top 10 uses for lavender essential oils.
- Roman Chamomile – Another great essential oils to soothe evening or nighttime headaches. It has sedative and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Helichrysum – Although it is relatively unknown in the United States, helichrysum essential oil has been used for many years to treat a variety of medical conditions in countries such as Italy, Spain, Turkey, Portugal, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Helichrysum has powerful anti-inflammatory properties and has been used for ages to treat migraine or headache related issues
- Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus essential oils works wonders to treat headaches or migraine attacks caused by chronic sinusitis (It is one of the best essential oils to relieve sinus infection and sore throat).
- Other Doterra headache blend of essential oils for migraine relief or headache relief:
- Sweet Marjoram
How To Use Doterra oils for headaches
Although there are many essential oils available to soothe headaches or migraine attacks, many sufferers are quite sensitive to scents during an attack. Scents are very personal. So add a drop to a cotton ball for a quick smell. If it works soothing and the fragrance doesn’t upset or stress you, try one of the following migraine relief methods.
Topical Application Or Gentle Massage – Dilute 10 to 12 drops of essential oils from the list above or us a blend (scroll down for some ideas) into 1 oz. carrier oil of your choice (coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond, etc.). Gently massage a few drops onto your forehead, temples, and the back of your neck. Avoid the area around your eyes.
Diffuse – Diffuse essential oils according to the direction of your diffuser throughout the day or night to ease or prevent migraine attacks. You can find a variety of blends in my post about the best essential oil recipes for your diffuser.
Inhalation – Rub 1 to 2 drops of lavender essential oils into the palms of your hands. Cup them over your nose and take 4-6 deep and slow breaths. Another thing you can do is add 2 to 4 drops on a cotton ball and secure in a zip lock bag to take with you. Or add a few drops of essential oils to a bowl of boiling water. Drape a towel over your head and breathe in the steam (works best if your migraine is sinus related).
Cold Compress – Add 5 drops of your favorite essential oils (or blend) to 1 quart cool or icy water. Soak a clean cloth in the bowl and apply on your forehead or the back of your neck. Most people find that cold compresses work best, but you can try a warm compress as well or alternate both to improve circulation.
Aroma-therapeutic Bath – Another great way to alleviate your headache or migraine attack is to take a relaxing bath. Add 5 to 10 drops of essential oils to your bath tub. If you have a sensitive skin, dilute in 1 tablespoon carrier oil of your liking before adding it to your bath tub. This will add an extra moisturizing effect and prevent the essential oils from being too powerful. Do not add the oils to running water as they will evaporate at a higher rate. Add them after you have run the bath and gently mix them in by hand. For an even better effect add 1 to 2 cups of Epsom salts. Epsom salt replenishes magnesium levels. Magnesium deficiencies often trigger migraine attacks. Read more about Epsom salts and their fantastic uses here.
Doterra headache essential oil blends
These blends can be used in a diffuser or cold compresses. Add them to your bath water or apply topically to find relief. If you have a sensitive skin, dilute in an appropriate carrier oil of your choice (coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond, etc.).
Doterra headache blend 1
4 drops wintergreen essential oils
3 drops lavender essential oils
3 drops chamomile essential oils
2 drops clove essential oils
Doterra headache blend 2
4 drops eucalyptus essential oils
6 drops peppermint essential oils
2 drops myrrh essential oils
Doterra headache blend 3
8 drops lavender essential oils
4 drops roman chamomile essential oils
Doterra headache blend 4
4 drops helichrysum essential oils
8 drops roman chamomile essential oils
Doterra headache blend 5
4 drops peppermint essential oils
8 drops lavender essential oils
Opt For Quality Oils Only!
Always make sure to get Doterra headache blend that are therapeutic grade essential oils. These oils are made through non-chemical processes (steam distillation) and are safe to use externally and internally. Never ingest low quality oils as they may be toxic.
For more information about Doterra oils for headaches – Click here or PM me and I will get back to you asap….